Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Guest Post From Leah

This past Saturday marked the first day of summer. Here in Knoxville summer often brings high humidity and unbearable heat. In an effort not to complain about those I thought I would focus on the many things I love about summertime.

I love when the days are long and it's light until bedtime. I love it when people sit outside on their decks talking and laughing until the fireflies come out. I love lazy days spent by the lake or a pool. I love summer picnics with juicy watermelon for dessert. I love fireworks on the Fourth of July. I love spur-of-the-moment trips to Brewsters for cake batter ice cream. I love the sound of crickets singing late at night. I love grilled corn on the cob. I love the smell of rain on hot pavement. I love the unexpected breeze that blows in the middle of a steamy afternoon. I love how the mountains are so green that they look like giant heads of broccoli. I love summertime fairs and festivals. I love fresh summer strawberries. I love wearing flip-flops every day. I love going bare foot in the grass. I love the sight of kids running through the sprinkler, and have to admit I love to do the same. I love lying on my back and watching fluffy clouds float by in an impossibly clear blue sky. I love the extra dose of sunshine that summer inevitably brings. For all of these reasons, and many more, I love summertime.

No comments: