Thursday, October 9, 2008

Sticky Talk

I am at an ACSI convention in Greensboro, NC. We are required to go to six different workshops while we are here. The first workshop I attended this morning was by Dr. Phil Johnson. His session was on making what you teach stick with your students. Here are some quick thoughts:


Things that we (teachers) want to stick with our students:
  • Jesus loves me and wants to be my friend.

  • God has a purpose for my life.

Things that end up sticking with our students:

  • Melissa farted in class today.

  • Mr. Henley said, "sut the pissors down" instead of "put the scissors down".

The point is this, the unusual sticks. Not the mundane, everyday occurrences in the classroom...the unusual.

The same can be said about church. I was thinking throughout the entire session, "Man, all of this applies to the church as well". How many times have I sat in church and the sermon did not stick. It didn't even reach me to have the opportunity to stick. I vividly remember the sermons that have "stuck" and made an impact on my life. They were unusual, out of the ordinary and out of the box. Is it a challenge to make our lessons (and sermons) stick? Absolutely. Is it worth it? Definitely.

I'll have more thoughts on this tomorrow...

No comments: