Thursday, May 29, 2008

Living In The Dark Ages

I feel like Leah and I are living in the "dark ages" sometimes. Why? I guess because we do not have two of the major "conveniences" that most married people our age have at their home. They are cable TV and the Internet. (Thus the reason my posts on here are often days apart. I can only post when I have time while I am in my office. Otherwise I would try to be on here daily.) I must confess that not having cable TV isn't that big a deal. Yes, I do get annoyed when people ask, "Dude, did you see that game last night?"... and for the 15th time I have to tell them, "No, we do not have cable." Then I receive this look of pity like my dog has just died. I do miss watching college football on Saturdays during the fall on ESPN and college basketball in the winter; however, I can't think of another thing on cable TV that I would want to see. Maybe, that is because we do not have it, and we do not know what we are missing. I seriously doubt that is the case.
Of the two, I would pay to have the Internet at the house. Is there a simpler and easier way to keep of with friends and family than the Internet? I don't think so. Plus, you can get all the news and highlights of any game or show or randomness from the day that you have missed because you do not have cable TV. Leah is going out of town this weekend to watch her cousin graduate from high school. I wanted to surprise her with a little flower garden around the mailbox. I had no idea how to plant a flower garden until just a few minutes ago. I typed the words "how to plant a flower garden" into the search bar and had over 300,000 results to pick from. You can't do that with cable TV.
We do not think that the Internet or cable is wrong. We just do not have the funds to have those conveniences at this point of our marriage. We can do better things with the money God has given us. What about you? More on this subject next time!

No comments: